Congratulations to all writers. The winners will be announced at our festival on 4th November.
Congratulations to all longlisted writers. The shortlist will be announced 1 October.
All shortlisted writers will be invited to our Awards Ceremony on November 4, 2pm, in Atheneum, Enniscorthy.
Wexford Literary Festival welcomes entries to its annual international Colm Tóibín Short Story Award. Writers are asked to consider the guidelines below before submitting their entries.
Click below to pay €10 submission fee and then submit your entry to
PLEASE STATE IN THE SUBJECT HEADER: SHORT STORY SUBMISSION
- This is an open competition for a short story, with no restriction on the subject matter
- The competition is open to people of 18 years and older
- Only one entry per person is permitted
- Competition is open internationally
- 1st Prize is €1,000, 2nd Prize €500, 3rd Prize €300
- Entries must be in English
- Entries must be between 1,800 and 2,000 words in length. Entries outside this word count will not be permitted and will be automatically rejected
- Entries must be the original work of the author and must not have been previously published either in writing or electronically. Entries which have received awards in other competitions are also ineligible
- Only short stories will be accepted. Poetry and prose entries are inadmissible
- The author’s name and details should only appear on the accompanying e-mail. Please ensure that the title is clearly marked at the top of the entry and each page thereafter. The author’s name must NOT appear on the entry submitted, only on the e-mail accompanying the piece
- Entries will be accepted until SEPTEMBER 1ST. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- The judges’ decision is final and Wexford Literary Festival will not enter into correspondence concerning the judging or merits awarded. The onus is on the author to ensure that their entry complies with the rules of the competition
- Entries should be submitted electronically only. Hard copies will not be admissible
- Shortlisted writers will be invited to attend the award ceremony on Sunday, NOVEMBER 4TH, however all expenses incurred will be the writer’s own
- While copyright of the short story will remain with the author, Wexford Literary Festival reserves the right to arrange the first publication and broadcast of the selected works. The right to use the stories to further publicise this award is also retained by Wexford Literary Festival. The winning author will agree to have their photograph taken and used for publicity purposes by Wexford Literary Festival
- The entry fee of 10 euro must be paid via our online payment system